Lost to time, not to memory
The lost town of Carbon lives on in the museums and memories of northern Carbon County
August 19, 2020
The town of Carbon was described in the Lippincott's "Gazetteer of the World", a geographical dictionary of the world published in 1893, as a post-village of Carbon County.
"It is 84 miles by rail northwest of Laramie. Coal mining is on here. It has three churches, a bank, a common and high school, and a newspaper office. Pop. 1140."
Carbon County, in 1890 had a population of 6,587. In 1870, the number of people was 1,368.
Hanna is not listed; nor is Saratoga or Encampment. Rawlins had a population of 2235. Medicine Bow's geographic location is recorded, but nothing else.
The times have ch...