The Saratoga Sun -

Illegal gaming, a sad tale and other events


Reprint of this story from the February 12, 1904 issue of The Grand Encampment Herald brought to you courtesy of Grandma’s Cabin, Encampment, Wyoming. Preserving History - Serving the Community.


Three Saratoga Citizens Bound Over to District Court.

Warrants were sworn out Saturday for the arrest of Johnson Rose, C. S. Taylor and George Rosenfelt, on a charge of gambling. Mrs. Mary E. Garrish preferred the charges. The case came up Monday at 10 o’clock a.m. for examination, before Judge Johnson.

Affidavits for a change of venue were filed by each of the defendants, but it was afterwards discovered that no change of venue could be had under the statute, and the case was postponed until next Monday, at 2 o’clock p.m. at which time Prosecuting Attorney Mathison will be here to try the cases.

The defendants were bound over in the sum of $300 each for their appearance on that day. James Delaney becoming surety for C. S. Taylor, Bert Reynolds for George Rosenfelt and J. A. Phillips fur John Rosenfelt. These men are charged with having gambled with, and obtained nearly $450 from one T. M. Garrish, who recently came down from the tie camp with his wife and five small children, where they had earned the money making ties.

Mrs. Garrish says that her husband lost all of the money they had, which had been deposited in the bank, and that she is now left destitute, as Mr. Garrish has left the country. She avers that she is entirely without funds and that she will have to place her children on the county, as she is not able to support them.

Judge Owen conducted the case for the state and Judge Blood for the defense. Every effort is being made to find Garrish and bring him back and make him testify, when the truth of the whole transaction will come out. The defendants were arraigned this week, waived examination, and were bound over to the district court.


One of the saddest cases on record is that of Lena Marcolo, a young Polish girl recently arrived at Hanna after a journey of over 6,000 miles from her native hamlet in Poland to meet her lover John Nicolesko only to discover that he was one of the victims who perished in the terrible mine explosion there last June, when 169 miners met death. The last letter received by the girl was in June, in which her lover asked her to come to America and they would be married. She was delayed in her departure and was surprised that no more letters arrived. She wrote twice but received no answer, and finally, thinking Nicolesko intended to surprise her in some way started out on her long journey.

She does not speak English and so continued her way to that city without learning of the awful holocaust in which her lover lost his life. When informed of the facts the unhappy girl fainted and cannot be comforted. She is without funds to return to her home in Poland and a purse has been taken up by the miners at Hanna to defray her expenses during the long trip home.

Minor Notes:

Robert Deal and Joe Rankin left last week for Oklahoma with two car loads of horses.

George Kuntzman and Charles D. Terwilliger went to Rawlins this week and were initiated into the order of the Mystic Shrine.

R.J. Welton is constructing a frame building for George Kuntzman on the lot between the Kuntzman residence and the Herald office. The building will be used by the newly organized billiard club.

The notes from French state, “A very heavy snow storm visited this part of the country last Friday night. Snow fell to the depth of two feet on the level. Ranchmen were kept busy making paths from the houses to the outbuildings.”

You might be interested in:

Reader Comments